Policy Number: 86

Medical Emergencies, Minor Injuries/Illnesses


Procedures for handling medical emergencies or minor injuries/illnesses occurring on university property


Employees and students

Date Reviewed: January 2008

Responsible Office: The University of Texas Police Department

Responsible Executive: Chief of Police


When a member of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (“university”) community incurs, or encounters someone who has incurred an injury or illness on university property, the incident should be handled expediently, efficiently and calmly. To accomplish this, employees and students should familiarize themselves in advance of encountering medical emergencies with basic procedures provided herein.


A. Life-threatening Injuries/Illnesses

If an employee, student, patient or visitor incurs an injury/illness that appears to be life-threatening, the person reporting the incident should immediately contact The University of Texas Police Department (UTPD) and provide the dispatcher with:

Unless otherwise requested or indicated, the injured/ill person should be transported by ambulance to the appropriate health care facility.

If the incident specifically involves an injury to an employee, the employee's supervisor must prepare a First Report of Injury form as soon as possible.

In the case of a student, patient or visitor, the department supervisor or class instructor of the area in which the incident occurred should be informed of the incident immediately.

B. Minor Injuries/Illnesses

1. Employees

If an employee incurs a minor injury, the injured employee's supervisor must prepare a First Report of Injury form. Supervisors must offer to contact an appropriate health care facility for an injured employee. The employee has the right to refuse medical treatment. The employee’s refusal should be noted on the First Report of Injury Form. If the health care provider does not accept workers’ compensation, the employee will be responsible for the medical costs associated with the claim. The injured employee must take a copy of the First Report of Injury form with him or her when visiting a healthcare provider.

If an employee experiences symptoms of a non-life-threatening illness, the name of the employee's personal healthcare provider should be obtained, then that healthcare provider should be contacted for directions on how to deal with the situation. If the ill employee has no personal healthcare provider, the employee may be directed to UT Health Services or to an emergency treatment center. For more detailed information regarding employee injuries/illnesses, refer to HOOP Policy 100 Workers' Compensation Insurance.

2. Students, Patients or Visitors

If a student, patient or visitor is injured, the department supervisor/instructor of the area in which the incident occurred must be advised immediately of the incident. If the injured person is a patient or visitor, that supervisor/instructor will request information from the injured person such as name, and nature of the injury, and will advise that person to seek medical attention from a healthcare provider of his or her choice. The supervisor/instructor must contact Risk Management and Insurance and provide them with information regarding the injury.

If a student is injured, the supervisor/instructor will request information and advise the student that he or she may seek medical attention through the university or through his or her personal healthcare provider. If the student chooses to seek medical attention through the university, the supervisor/instructor should contact the Student Health Clinic to schedule an appointment for the injured student.


ContactTelephoneEmail/Web Address
The University of Texas Police Department

911 (emergency)

713-792-2890 (non-emergency)

Risk Management and Insurance (regarding injuries to employees) 713-500-8136 http://www.uth.edu/safety/index.htm