Annual Faculty Review Procedures
- All tenured, tenure-track and non-tenure-track faculty members, including department chairs and other school academic administrators, will be evaluated annually. It is the responsibility of the dean to ensure annual reviews of faculty are conducted. The dean of the appropriate school will conduct the review of chairs/equivalents. The President will perform the reviews of deans.
- Annual reviews will be conducted by the department chairs or division directors with input from departmental faculty. In the School of Public Health, reviews will be conducted by a school-designated faculty committee. The review will include the chair/equivalent's evaluation of the faculty member, peer evaluations, and, for all teaching faculty, student/trainee evaluations. Records of the reviews will be retained by both the department/school and the faculty member.
- The review process will look back to evaluate accomplishments since the previous review period, assess whether goals previously identified were met, and assess problems encountered if goals were not met.
- The review process will look forward to determine goals, expectations, and assignments, identify and resolve obstacles or conflicts to achieving goals and assignments, and determine appropriate resources needed to accomplish the goals and assignments.
- Goals and assignments will be determined in conjunction with the chair/equivalent and should be aligned with the university’s and school promotion and tenure criteria, aligned with the university and departmental/school missions, and clearly communicated and agreed on by the faculty member and the chair/equivalent. Signatures of both the faculty member and the chair/equivalent will certify that, in schools with department chairs, a meeting was held in which the goals and assignments were discussed. If agreement between the faculty member and the chair/equivalent on the goals and assignments cannot be reached, the faculty member and/or chair/equivalent may document in writing the reason(s) for the non-agreement. If desired, the faculty member or the chair/equivalent may seek input from the dean.
- It is the faculty member's right and obligation to enter into the annual review process as an active participant to further career goals and to serve the university in a manner that optimally uses the faculty member’s skills and facilitates accomplishment of the university’s mission.
- It is the responsibility of the chair/equivalent to mentor, or assure mentoring of, all faculty members within their department.
- Input into the annual reviews of chairs/equivalents and deans will be solicited from all faculty within the appropriate department/unit. Faculty input will be anonymous.