Contact the Office of Academic Affairs for guidelines and requirements for the Practicum in Health Informatics
Documents needed for Practicum
1. Affiliation agreement
- Exception: If you are doing your practicum at UTHealth, no affiliation agreement is needed.
2. Program agreement
- Exception: If you are doing your practicum at UTHealth, no program agreement is needed.
3. Practicum proposal Approved by your advising committee members
- Obtain IRB Approval if required
- Submit approved proposal to the Office of Academic Affairs
- Obtain approval code for practicum registration in next semester
4. During the Practicum
- Maintain log of practicum activities and hours,submit to your committee with your complete draft
- Update committee members on a regular basis
5. State of the Science Paper or Thesis A
- Complete draft must be submitted to the advising committee members at least one month prior to end of the semester in which you plan to graduate.
- Advisors are allowed 10 working days to review and comment on each draft.
- Advisors have to approve the final draft by signing the cover page which is due to the Office of Academic Affairs by the last class day of the semester.
- The State of the Science papers (including the cover page and an electronic copy of the paper with an abstract) must be submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs by the last class day of each semester.
- Students graduating in the spring semester must submit their titles to the Office of Academic Affairs ten business days prior to the last day of classes, so that they can be included in the graduation program. For specific dates, please refer to the SBMI calendar.
Affiliation Agreements: Be aware that prior to the start of your practicum, The University must have an affiliation agreement with the company or organization in which you will do your practicum. If such an agreement is not already in place, it may take up to 6 months to get one. Affiliation agreements are coordinated by the Director of Admissions.
Program Agreement: If you are doing your practicum outside of the university, you must complete and get an approved program agreement in place.
Practicum Proposal Requirements
Include the following items in your proposal:
- Identify your practicum supervisor.
- Location of the practicum. Remember that we need an affiliation agreement and a program with the organization. If one does not exist, you must inform the Office of Academic Affairs to begin the process of securing an agreement.
- List the Behavioral Learning Objectives for the practicum.
- Include a description of what you will be doing.
- List the Outcomes that you expect to achieve by this practicum.
- List the criteria that you and your committee agree will be used to evaluate your performance on the practicum.
- Determine when your practicum will start and when it will be completed. You must have a minimum of 270 clock hours (6 credit hours) to meet the practicum requirement.
- Give a job description for your practicum position.
- Describe the topic for your 'State of the Science' paper. Remember that to be approved your paper must be judged by your committee members to be of publishable quality.
- Write a preliminary introduction to your paper. The publication manual of the APA provides good guidance on what should go in the introduction.
- Determine the journal where it will be submitted for publication. Use that journal format for your paper.
- Get final written approval from your committee before you start your practicum.
- Anticipated graduation.
The final committee approved State of the Science paper is due on the last day of class for degree completion.