Allison B. McCoy, PhD
University of Texas-Memorial Hermann Center for Healthcare Quality and Safety
6410 Fannin St., UTPB 1100.42, Houston, TX 77030
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Informatics, 2010, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- M.S. in Biomedical Informatics, 2008, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- B.S.C.S. in Computer Science, 2006, Baylor University, Waco, TX
- Clinical decision support
- Computerized provider order entry
- Health information technology
- Electronic health records
- Evaluation methods
- Patient safety
Dr. McCoy is an assistant professor at the School of Biomedical Informatics in The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and a member of the UT-Memorial Hermann Center for Healthcare Quality & Safety. She completed her PhD in Biomedical Informatics from Vanderbilt University in 2010, where she focused on improving medication safety during acute kidney injury with clinical decision support and real-time pharmacy surveillance. Her current research aims to develop automated methods to generate, evaluate, and improve point-of-care clinical decision support.
Google Scholar Citations: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=8fR6ShUAAAAJ
- Radecki RP, McCoy AB, Sirajuddin AM, Murphy RE, Sittig DF. Effectiveness of Bar Code Medication Alerts. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2012. (In Press).
- Atreya RV, Smith JC, McCoy AB, Malin B, Miller RA. An Approach to Reducing Patients’ Laboratory-Result Based Re-identification Risks in Research Datasets. J Am Med Inform Assoc. (In Press).
- McCoy AB, Waitman LR, Neal EB, Cox ZL, Peterson NB, Bhave G, Siew ED, Danciu I, Peterson JF. The Comparative Effectiveness of Real-Time Pharmacy Surveillance and Clinical Decision Support to Reduce Adverse Drug Events in Acute Kidney Injury: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Appl Clin Inform. 2012;3(2):221-38. Epub 2012 June 13. pubmed
- McCoy AB, Wright A, Laxmisan A, Ottosen MJ, McCoy JA, Butten D, Sittig DF. Development and Evaluation of a Crowdsourcing Methodology for Knowledge Base Construction: Identifying Relationships between Clinical Problems and Medications. J Am Med Inform Assoc. Epub 2012 May 12. pubmed
- Laxmisan A, McCoy AB, Wright A, Sittig DF. Clinical Summarization Capabilities of Commercially-Available and Internally-Developed Electronic Health Records. Appl Clin Inform. (In Press).
- McCoy AB, Ottenbacher AJ, Sittig DF, Etchegaray JM. Understanding Evidence-Based Research Methods: Challenges and Considerations in Analysis of Survey Data. Health Environments Research and Design Journal. (In Press).
- Etchegaray JM, Ottenbacher AJ, Sittig DF, McCoy AB. Understanding Evidence-Based Research Methods: Survey Analysis. Health Environments Research and Design Journal. (In Press).
- McCoy AB, Waitman LR, Lewis JB, Wright JA, Choma DP, Miller RA, Peterson JF. A Framework for Evaluating the Appropriateness of Clinical Decision Support Alerts and Responses. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011 Aug 17. [Epub] pubmed
- McCoy AB, Wright A, Laxmisan A, Singh H, Sittig DF. A Prototype Knowledge Base and SMART App to Facilitate Organization of Patient Medications by Clinical Problems. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2011. link
- Wright A, Feblowitz J, McCoy AB, Sittig DF. Comparative Analysis of the VA/Kaiser and NLM CORE Problem Subsets: An Empirical Study Based on Problem Frequency. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2011. link
- McCoy AB, Peterson JF. The Greasemonkey Firefox Add-On for Altering Display of Data in a Web-Based Electronic Medical Record. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2011. link
- McCoy JA, McCoy AB, Wright A, Sittig DF. Automated Inference of Patient Problems from Medications using NDF-RT and the SNOMED-CT CORE Problem List Subset. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2011. link
- McCoy AB, Sittig DF. Computer-Based Clinical Decision Support for Colorectal Diseases: An Overview of Barriers and Facilitators. Dis Colon Rectum. 2011 May;54(5):e147. link
- Waitman LR, Phillips IE, McCoy AB, Danciu I, Halpenny RM, Nelsen CL, Johnson DC, Starmer J, Peterson JF. Adopting Pharmacy Surveillance as a Component of an Enterprise-wide Medication Safety Strategy. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2011 July;37(7):326-32. pubmed pdf
- Sastre EA, Denny JC, McCoy JA, McCoy AB, Spickard WA. Teaching Evidence-Based Medicine: Impact on Students’ Literature Use and Inpatient Clinical Documentation. Med Teach. 2011;33(6):e306-12. pubmed
- McCoy AB, Waitman LR, Gadd CS, Danciu I, Smith JP, Lewis JB, Schildcrout JS, Peterson JF. A Computerized Provider Order Entry Intervention for Medication Safety During Acute Kidney Injury: A Quality Improvement Report. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010 Nov;56(5):832-41. pubmed
- McCoy AB, Waitman LR, Peterson JF. Rapid Correction of Clinical Decision Support Failures with Real-Time Surveillance of Provider Responses and Patient Outcomes. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2010. link
- McCoy AB. Different Sides of the Story. In: Einbinder L, Lorenzi NM, Ash JS, Gadd CS, Einbinder J, eds. Transforming Health Care Through Information: Case Studies. 3rd ed. Springer; 2009. link
- McCoy AB, Peterson JF, Gadd CS, Danciu I, Waitman LR. A System to Improve Medication Safety in the Setting of Acute Kidney Injury: Initial Provider Response. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2008. pubmed