Chemical Safety Committee Guidelines
The committee will:
Formulate and recommend policy in the use of hazardous chemicals;
- Monitor their use in compliance with the Texas Department of State Health Service's regulations and UTHealth policy;
- Review and approval of applications for possession and use of Chemical materials within the UTHealth.
- Review and approval of policies and procedures regarding the disposal and release of Chemical waste from UTHealth.
- Provision of professional advice to the Chemical Safety Officer on matters regarding chemical safety.
- Assure compliance with federal regulations; and
- Set standards for chemical safety.
- The Committee reports to the Executive Vice President for Research & Academic Affairs.
Designated by the President on recommendation from the Executive Vice President for Research & Academic Affairs from the membership.
One faculty representative from the Dental Branch
Three faculty representatives from the Medical School representing the three main disciplines: education, research and clinical/patient care.
One faculty representative from the School of Nursing
One faculty representative from the School of Public Health
One student representative rotated among schools
Others deemed appropriate and appointed by the President
Ex Officio Membership (without vote)
Executive Vice President for Research & Academic Affairs
Director, Environmental Health and Safety
Manager, Chemical Safety
Manager, Environmental Protection
Term of Membership
Staggered three-year term with one term expiring each year.
CYF Training Room
Contact EH&S at 713 500 8100 for information on current meeting agenda items
Some topics discussed within university health science center safety committees meet the definition of a “medical committee” as defined under the Texas Health and Safety Code Title 2, Subtitle H Chapter 161, Subchapter D Sec. 161.031, and as such, the meeting minutes are confidential (Sec. 161.032).
The current list of CSC members can be found online here.