Policy Number: 54
I. POLICY AND GENERAL STATEMENT
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston ("university") authorizes the existence of a student government body that has the jurisdictions and powers delegated by the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System ("Board of Regents").
The student association is the Student Intercouncil, which is recognized as a forum for student opinion and comprises representatives from each of the schools and also has minority and international representation.
A. Required Approvals and Reports
1. Approval of Changes: An amendment to the bylaws of the Student Intercouncil must be approved by the Executive Vice President for Academic and Research Affairs ("EVPARA"), the President and the Executive Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs. The EVPARA may amend or repeal any provision in the bylaws of the Student Intercouncil if the EVPARA believes the interests of the university require it. The EVPARA’s action is not effective until approved by the President and the Executive Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs.
2. Approval of Employees: Salaried employees of the Student Intercouncil are subject to the approval of the EVPARA and the President.
3. Required Financial Reports: The Student Intercouncil must provide annual financial reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial and Operating Officer and submit a copy to the EVPARA.
B. Student Opinion
1. Recommendations to the Board of Regents: When the Student Intercouncil takes a position regarding issues directly related to the university and its operations, its recommendation to the Board of Regents shall go through the EVPARA, the President, the Executive Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs, and the Chancellor.
2. Position on Non University Issues: When the Student Intercouncil takes a position on non university issues, it must make the fact clear that it does not speak for the university.
3. Getting Feedback from Students: The Student Intercouncil may conduct polls, initiate petitions and/or establish forums for debate or discussion under conditions approved by the EVPARA.
4. Personal Views of Officers: Officers of the Student Intercouncil must identify themselves when they express their personal views and make it clear they are not speaking for the university the student body, or the Student Intercouncil.
|Office of Academic and Research Affairs||713-500-3062|