Dr. George A. Calin
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Department of Experimental Therapeutics
My long term scientific career goal is to establish the roles of non-coding RNAs in human diseases. In order to accomplish this, I plan to continue and expand in the next few years my previous work in the following way:
- Expanding the spectrum of non-coding RNAs by computational and experimental cloning strategies. My goal is to be able to produce the first complete catalog of human ncRNAs.
- Identification of the variations in expression and sequences of ncRNAs from the public available or personal databases. For this, I will produce new ncRNAs microarray platforms that are not commercially available and develop large sequencing programs for ncRNAs in clinical samples with sporadic and familial cancers. Essential will be the development of a genomic non-codingRNA unit especially designed for this purposes.
- Construction of expression libraries of ncRNAs and analyzing the potential roles as oncogenes and tumor suppressors.
- Finding the diagnostic and prognostic significance of ncRNA variations and analyzing the abnormalities associated with resistance to cancer treatment.
- Use of the most functionally significant ncRNA in therapeutical approaches against malignant cells. Specifically for this goal, I plan to develop a biotech company for therapy-oriented research.
Depending on the students’ interests, a tutorial in my laboratory would provide experience with genomics techniques related to non-codingRNAs (such as cloning, identification of genomics alterations or sequence variations), expression studies (by Northern blottings, quantitative PCr or microarray technology), as well as the identification of clinical and prognostic correlations between the different molecular signatures that we will identify and the clinical parameters. Furthermore, the students can achieve skills in the standard techniques used for construction of viral vectors important for the initial studies of gene therapy with microRNAs.
Office: MDA 3SCR4.3424 (Unit 1950)
Title: Associate Professor
M.D. - Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy - 1992
Ph.D. - Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy - 2000