GSBS faculty, donor part of MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital teamMay 15, 2013
GSBS faculty member Laurence Cooper, M.D., Ph.D., poses with ALA member Myra Hester at the MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital preview event on May 1. In the case is the shovel that was used at the groundbreaking of the original children’s wing. The book in Hester’s hand is about Frances Goff, an MD Anderson employee and an early leader of the ALA who helped with fundraising for MDA and cancer research.
Several faculty members from The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences are part of the team doctors who will be treating patients at the newly remodeled MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital, located on the 9th floor of the Anderson Main building. The Hospital held a special preview event on May 1. The mission of the hospital was created to cure cancer in children and young adults within a caring, life-affirming environment.
Also at the event were two representatives of the American Legion Auxiliary, Cancer Research Founding Member Myra Hester and the current ALA President Marty Peters. Hester was part of the original ALA fundraising team which made the first $50,000 gift to MD Anderson Hospital & Tumor Institute nearly 60 years ago to establish the children’s wing. Peters designated cancer research as her President’s Project for this fiscal year. Since 1971 the Auxiliary has provided a total of $1.3 million to support graduate students, some for up to three years, at GSBS whose projects focuses on cancer research. Currently, there are 10 ALA fellows at the Graduate School.
ALA member Myra Hester, seated, pose with Eugenie Kleinerman, M.D., head of the Division of Pediatrics for Children’s Cancer Hospital, left, and Marty Peters, the ALA 2012-2013 President, at the event.
Here is the list of GSBS faculty members, and their specialties, who are part of the Children’s Cancer Hospital team:
Eugenie Kleinerman, M.D., head, Division of Pediatrics
Brain & Spinal Tumors
Vidya Gopalakrishnan, Ph.D.
Non-Neural Solid Tumors
Dennis Hughes, M.D., Ph.D.
KuoJen Tsao, M.D.
Since the first patient walked through its doors in 1944, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has treated thousands of children in its quest to make cancer history. In 1955, MD Anderson Cancer Center opened an inpatient unit specifically dedicated for children with cancer. Since that time, the pediatric oncologists and specialists at MD Anderson Children's Cancer Hospital have forged new paths in cancer therapy for children.
To learn more about the Children’s Cancer Hospital, please visit CCH website